The History of the Great Southern Table Tennis Association
Table Tennis was being played on the South Coast as early as 1929 with a meeting called in June of that year to form a club in Victor Harbor.
Table Tennis was played at various locations within the district in the following years before formal competitions were set up including an air force team from the wartime base at Mt Breckan. It was not until after World War II that competition began in earnest across the Victor Harbor and Pt Elliot districts.
In June 1949 the South Coast Table Tennis Association was formed and later renamed the Great Southern Table Tennis Association to embrace other districts in the area. Initially a competition began with 2 teams from Victor Harbor, the Penguins and the Seahawks, and 2 teams from Pt Elliot, the Spartans and the Waybacks. Once established other clubs were formed; firstly Greenhills, based at the Toc H camp, followed by Hindmarsh Valley and Inman Valley.
Over the years other teams involved in the GSTTA competition were Lower Inman, Goolwa, Currency Creek, Mt. Compass, Eagles and Church of Christ. Venues for Table Tennis have included halls and schools within these towns.
During the 1950/60s teams comprised 4 men and 4 ladies but by the late 60/70s they became mixed 8 person teams. In the 1950s inter-association matches were established and demonstration matches with top players from Adelaide were played in the Victor Harbor Town Hall.
By 2005 GSTTA was an active association with Inman Valley Hall, the Church of Christ Hall at Victor Harbor and Goolwa Primary School Hall being used for the competition.
In July 2009 the GSTTA negotiated with the Alexandrina Council for the lease of the Port Elliot Institute. This has given the association a permanent home large enough for 5 tables and refreshment facilities. Together with the Inman Valley facility competition and social functions are scheduled throughout the year.